Monday, December 26, 2011

Gingerbread House in the Making

Day One: Baking 

I made patterns out of wax paper for the sides and roof of the house.  Then my tot and I mixed up the gingerbread dough while my preschooler was busy at school.  I later rolled out the dough and used a knife and the wax paper patterns to cut the gingerbread dough into the correct size and shape.  Then I baked the house pieces and let them cool overnight. 



Day Two: Construction

I assembled the house while my preschooler sprinkled snow and laid out a walkway.  We did this part of our gingerbread house at night, so my hubby had the very important job of keeping my tot entertained and way from all the candy! 



Day Three: Decorating!!  

My preschooler started off extremely enthusiastic about decorating.  At first she even tried to make patterns with the colored candies on the roof.  But after a few minutes we found that working together to decorate was a lot less tiring and whole lot more fun! 




This was the third year our family made a gingerbread house.  It has quickly become one of my favorite holiday traditions!

The gingerbread dough recipe, house pattern and royal icing recipe I used can all be found at Just Gingerbread.com

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. This is one of our favorite traditions! Following you from the Mingle Hop :)

    Kristine
    jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, I followed you right back! Can I just say I am jealous you get to be a SAHM and jealous you are on childcare leave? Does that mean you get to go right back when you are ready? Wow. I completely embraced teaching when my kids were littler but not I am noticing the things I am missing with them during the day and also I get so tired after the work day!

    Translation: Lately I've been dreaming of staying at home too, but I've worked too hard for my position, and now have my Master's, so I'm staying put! You may want to follow my other blog at http://www.imamomtoo.blogspot.com Lately I've been putting all my mom stuff there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to, but never have, made a gingerbread house. It looks so fun! (and delicious...)
    Visiting from the hop.
    http://beingmama.com/
    http://ohsoprettylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to make a gingerbread house but have never attempted it. Looks like yours came out great!

    Thanks so much for stopping over and following me at Making Mama Happy! I'm now following back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making our gingerbread house was a lot fun...my best tip if you've never made one before is to give yourself plenty of time...it's defintely a three day project...maybe a four day project if you count a day for shopping for supplies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...