Friday, December 16, 2011

M&M Game: Decorate a Christmas Tree (Freebie)

Pin It
Here's a fun, educational and yummy Christmas game I created for my preschooler! 


This game was inspired by a fall M&M game I found on Making Learning Fun.  My preschooler couldn't get enough of that game, so I knew I needed to make a Christmas version!

This game is super simple to prepare.  All you need are 20 M&Ms per player and a copy of the printable materials below.  Print the boards and M&M cards on card stock (laminate for future use).  Then cut the cards, shuffle and play! 

  Click the image below to grab a copy of the boards and cards or click here


Directions    
Each player takes a board and 20 M&Ms.  Then players sort their M&Ms by color onto the sorting boxes on their board.  
Shuffle the cards and leave them face down.  
Players take turns drawing a card and "decorating" their tree according to the color and number of M&Ms on the card drawn.   
The first player to completely decorate their tree wins! 





Alternative Directions
Undecorate the tree!  Start with all the M&Ms on the tree and be the first player to get all their M&Ms back in the sorting boxes!  

Educational Connections
Counting numbers 1-20
Comparing quantities 
Sorting by color
Reading color words
Addition/Subtraction

Happy Tree Trimming!

Linking to:Math Box, Life is About, No Time for Flashcards, Fun Stuff Friday, I Can Teach My Child, Sunday Showcase, TGIF, Thrifty Thursday

Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. LOVE this game!! Will have to print it for next week!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. M&M's plus Christmas = MEGA FUN!! What a fun idea & I love the printables =-) Thanks for linking up to TGIF!! Merry Christmas,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great activity, although I think my Goblin would just eat all the M+Ms

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun activity. My daughter would absolutely love this :) Thanks for stopping by my blog. Following you back and have a merry Christmas.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat little activity! I'm new to your blog today and love it! I'd love for you to link up at my "Life is About... blog hop" going on now!

    Blessings,
    Breena
    mommyknowslife.blogspot.com
    (p.s. - I'm your new GFC follower)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, this is so fun! We still have Halloween candy we could use on it! ;) This is another great post that I'd love to invite you to add to Teach Me Tuesday! The linky party is open at http://WholeChildCreativeCurriculum.blogspot.com -- I hope to see you there!

    Carla @ Whole Child Creative Curriculum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up at "Life as this Mommy knows It"! Glad you've found the photography tips to be helpful! Have fun playing with your new Christmas present :) That's exciting!

    Blessings,
    Breena
    mommyknowslife.blogspot.com
    p.s. - don't forget to grab my blog hop button, showing others you're linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday! This is such a fabulous post!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! This reminds me of the "exam" I created for my students. We made Christmas trees out of sugar ice cream cones and green frosting and m&ms! I should post that! :)

    Following back! Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to stealing your great ideas to use in my classroom! :)

    Brie @ BreezyPinkDaisies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brie, Thanks for stopping by! Hope you find lots of goodies here to "steal" for your classroom!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa - I do believe I already have!! :) Been pinning a couple already. Here's the Christmas trees I was talking about - thanks for inspiring me to post them!!!

    Brie @ BreezyPinkDaisies

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK i swear I commented on this already...anyway LOVE this! so much fun!! Thanks for sharing at Thrifty Thursday!! Hope you had a fantastic Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...