Sunday, December 11, 2011

Measure a Christmas Tree

 

This Christmas tree project is a combination of two ideas I recently came across.  On Pinterest I saw an idea for making a Christmas tree, using strips of paper put in order by size.  Then I noticed on several Montessori blogs, that young children are encouraged to use rulers at an early age.   I combined both of these simple ideas into one fun Christmas project for my preschooler, that incorporates the concepts of ordering something from largest to smallest, using a standard measuring tool and counting numbers 1-10.  


Materials
Construction Paper (Brown, Red and Green)
Ruler
Glue Stick
Stickers


Prep
Cut the green construction paper into strips.  I cut mine into 10 stripes...the largest strip was 10 inches by 1 1/2 inches, then I decreased the length of every strip by one inch. 

Steps
First my preschooler put the strips of paper in order from largest to smallest.


 Then she glued the strips onto the red construction paper. 


Next I modeled how to use a ruler, lining up the edge of the paper to zero.  After watching a couple times, my preschooler caught on and was able to measure the strips on her own.  


After figuring out how many inches long the strip was, she put that number of stickers on the strip of paper.  9 inches = 9 stickers.  She continued to measure and sticker each strip of paper.   


My preschooler really enjoyed using the ruler for this activity.  Though she had played with tape measures and rulers many times, this was the first time she used a ruler independently as a tool. 

Oh...I didn't want to leave my tot out....so I cut out this simple triangle Christmas tree for him to glue and decorate too!


Linking up to:Little Mathematicians, TGIF, Thrifty Thursday, Show and TellTeach me Tuesday and Montessori Monday

Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Lisa! I love the trees with the ruler and the coordinating stickers to inches. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by my site! I've really been enjoying browsing through your site too! You have some really great ideas that I'm excited to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing. And, I also like how you adapted the lesson for your tot! So much fun :)
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea, Lisa!
    Andrea @ myhomeschooltale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea!
    Jae of www.pinayhomeschooler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful idea! I love how many learning strategies this incorporates! Thanks so much for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!

    Carla @ Whole Child Creative Curriculum

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Stretches those little minds in so many ways! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous idea! I could use this with my two oldest boys. I would love for you to share this idea at my Little Mathematicians Linky. http://www.raisingthecameronclan.com/homeschooling/2011/12/12/little-mathematicians-first-edition-linky/

    I will be doing this with my boys next week, it is a perfect activity for Christmas week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many fun paper crafts here! I'm a new follower from Let's Mingle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE how you added some math learning to your fun christmas craft/activity!!!! What a fun, clever idea! Thanks for linking up to TGIF!! Merry Christmas,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I would have seen this before we made our trees. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a GREAT idea to practice measuring! Thanks for sharing at Thrifty Thursday!! Hope you had a fantastic Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...