Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Montessori for the Closet


Reading How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way, by Tim Seldin, inspired me to create a more kid-friendly environment at home.  All the ideas in this book are so incredibly simple and sensible!  This book does an excellent job of teaching parents how to implement Montessori principles at home to encourage children to be helpful, happy and independent.  The first thing I reorganized at home was a kitchen drawer.  Then I moved onto tackling the clutter in the front closet.  I took all my kids' things out of the closet and moved them down to a pint sized level...


a low coat rack for jackets and book bags

a basket for mittens, gloves, scarfs and hats

a stool to sit on

clothespins to clip together shoes

These simple changes have saved sooooo much time and stress when heading out the door.  My preschooler can independently get ready to go (she just needs help zipping her jacket).  And gone are the days of her  asking if her shoes are on the right feet!!  My tot knows right where to go to find everything and can follow simple directions like, "please go get your sneakers."  And when we come home, my tot and preschooler can put away their own things, saving me just a little cleaning time!!



 
I link-up at these great parties!
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Beth Ann! It won't be long before your little will be totting around and able to get his own jacket too!

      Delete
  2. Love it! Great ideas! I have a coat rack near the door, but it needs to be lowered. thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this helpful! Having a low coat rack has really made a difference!

      Delete
  3. Guess what I did? I pinned this idea! I am now going to clip JDaniel's shoes together and I need to think about whether I need to do mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about clipping my shoes too! lol!

      Delete
  4. The clips are a great idea! We have bins and they are so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the shoe clips are very helpful! Shoe bins are a great idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found these same tips (haven't tried the shoes - good idea) to be time-saving for me as well as promoting independence in the kiddos. I'm your newest follower and am interested to read about your other Montessori-inspired activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Shoe clips are soooo helpful!! I'm off to check out your blog!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...