Thursday, January 5, 2012

Polar Region Sensory Bin


 To go along with our winter theme, my kiddos are enjoying this polar region sensory bin... 


I'm not sure if this is technically a sensory bin or more of a pretend play bin.  I recently discovered sets of miniature animals at Jo Ann's.  They sell a set of animals for just about every region, so I picked up a set for the Arctic Region along with a couple other sets for future sensory bins.  With all those little animals, the glass pebbles and quilt batting our sensory bin looks like a polar-scape, perfect for getting those little imaginations going!

Around the house, I also found a few small penguins to include in this bin.  Though penguins aren't part found in the Arctic, I used this as an opportunity to teach my preschooler the difference between the North Pole and South Pole.   Now when my preschooler plays with the bin she keeps the penguins separate from the other animals.  She points to the penguin area, saying to her telling little brother, "This is the South Pole!"  I love seeing my little ones take a new piece of information and try to apply it!  Here's a list of all the items I included in this bin...   

Polar Region Sensory Bin
Large Glass Pebbles (Dollar Store)
Cotton Balls
Styrofoam Balls (Dollar Store)
Cups
Empty Paper Towel Rolls 
Quilt Batting
Set of Polar Animals

I link-up to these great parties!
Photobucket

28 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I want to do that for my kiddos!
    Ms. McBee’s Kinderbugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon I'm sure your Kinderbugs would love this as much as my kiddos do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I am getting our winter sensory bin together this week too. I pinned yours for inspiration for when I'm assembling Boogie's :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for pinning this Sierra!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it! Very cute! I love how you taught her the info about the north and south poles. I have my sensory bin ready for next week too. Will post soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trina, looking forward to seeing pictures of you your sensory bin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is so elaborate! I have been wanting to do a winter themed one also. Maybe I'll use some of your ideas. Thanks for sharing on Thinky Linky Thursday @ Cachey Mama's Classroom!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE it!!! :-) I have a winter sensory bin right now to.... and your items would have totally gone well with it. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! I really needed some inspiration for what to do for a winter sensory bin.

    Stopped by from TGIF.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sensory bins! This is fabulous!!! Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am adding this to my sensory tub ideas. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this sensory bin! great idea

    Natasha xx

    www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is waaaaaaaaaaay cute!! Love it! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a GREAT weekend,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so clever - i love it - even the picture looks tactile!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been keeping my kiddos busy and playing!

      Delete
  15. How fun!! Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, this is just way too much fun! I could see my preschooler sitting there for hours playing with this. What a creative, wonderful sensory bin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun sensory bin. Love all the ideas.

    Veronica @ http://watchmeplaynlearn.blogspot.com/2012/01/week-19-day-3-fluffy-white-stuff.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're welcome for pinning it! Thank you for sharing it at WOTT! I finally finished ours, and our first round of winter trays, but probably won't get around to posting until tonight or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping back! You have a great collection of winter trays!

      Delete
  19. Awesome sensory bin, Lisa! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I've already featured this on the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Kids' Winter Activities Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/kids-winter-activities/. I have it bookmarked for my upcoming post on Montessori-Inspired Arctic and Antarctic Unit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing on facebook Deb! I have a couple other Polar activities that my preschooler is working on...hopefully I'll have a chance to post them soon!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute bin. I think I might be taking a trip to the dollar tree to pick up some items. : ) Visiting from the show and tell blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on having your post featured on Thinky Linky Thursday.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for featuring this sensory bin!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...