Thursday, January 12, 2012

Snowmen Made with Homemade Glitter Playdough


I did it!!  I finally added glitter to our playdough!!

 
So what's the big deal with adding glitter to playdough?  Well if you read my Keeping Clam in 2012 post, little things (like the thought of glitter being tracked EVERYWHERE in my house) make me a bit stressed out.  I usually try to avoid messy projects that involve craft supplies like paint and glitter.  But in 2012 I'm trying to improve my patience and my need to control every little thing.  I thought, why not try adding glitter to our playdough?  After all what's the worse that could happen?  The tube full of glitter could slip out of my hand cascading tiny sparkles across my entire kitchen?  So what!  I've cleaned up a lot worse!  I can handle a little glitter!

And handle it I did.  Besides for a few stray glitter flakes here and there, this really wasn't a messy project at all.  Next time I won't hesitate to add a little glitter to our playdough!

Here's a quick version of the recipe I used for our glitter playdough (orginally from My Montessori Journey)

Ingredients
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
1 Tablespoon Cream of Tarter
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Water
Glitter!!!

Directions
1.  In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients.  Then add all wet ingredients.  Mix well.

2.  Transfer ingredients to a saucepan.  Mix continuously over medium heat.  When the mix starts to pull  away from the sides and forms into a ball the playdough is done (it will no longer have a wet look).

3.  Turn dough onto countertop and knead.

4.  Add glitter, spice and/or food coloring!

5.  Store in a Ziploc container.  


After the glitter playdough cooled, I gave it to my kids along with a basket full of crafting supplies (googly eyes, buttons, pipe cleaners, felt, pony beads, pom-poms and sticks).  Then my tot and preschooler spent some time playing and creating the cutest little glittery playdough snowmen!   
 

 
 


Now that our glitter playdough was a success, maybe it's time to bust out a messy paint project and really put my patience to the test!  


I link-up at these great parties!



Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. AWW! They look sooo good! I have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Let me know if you try this!

      Delete
  2. I am planning to do this same thing this weekend! I did this in December with green and red play-doh...I'd rather add the glitter to the play-doh than use it make crafts! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes adding glitter to playdough is much easier than handing it over to little ones for a craft!!

      Delete
  3. So cute! I love homemade play dough! I need to make a new batch soon! Looks like everyone had fun creating with it! Stopping by from TGIF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yep this was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. This is great! Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-6.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I've linked up to Fun Stuff Fridays!

      Delete
  5. Fun! I found you via TGIF Linky Party and am a new follower. I have a new meme called Thematic Thursday and this week's theme is Winter/Snow. I'd love to see this post linked up. Find Thematic Thursday here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following! I'm off to check off your winter link-up now!

      Delete
  6. Such cute snowman! I love the glitter in the dough!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! I look forward to seeing your posts linked up again soon,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!!! And I'm glad you're trying out the messy stuff :) I'm your newest follower.. and thanks for sharing this with our readers at Sharing Saturday.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm off to check out your blog!

      Delete
  8. I never thought to add glitter to playdough but I'm going to try it.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding glitter to playdough was a lot less messy than I planned!

      Delete
  9. Lisa I TOTALLY laughed out loud at your post....I feel ya on the messy thing. I was JUST looking at some cool Chinese New Year activities and kept passing the ones involving paint! ;) Anyway this is AWESOME. I pinned this and shared on Facebook, I LOVE all your fun posts!!
    Thanks for sharing your inspiring ideas with us all at Thrifty Thursday, have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing on Facebook and Pinterest!

      Delete
  10. awesome & kudos to you for letting go & using glitter! It does get everywhere but it's oh, so pretty!

    Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase - hope to see you this week.

    Bern

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...