Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Colors of Love Sight Word Game (Freebie!)

Pin It
Here's a fun Valentine game for young learners!


This sight word game helps young learners practice reading color words.  To play this game all you need are  8 game pieces per player (we used clear glass pebbles) and a copy of the printable materials below!

 To grab a copy click the image below or click HERE


Directions
1. Shuffle cards and place them in a pile face down.

2. Each player takes a game board and 8 game pieces. 

3. Players take turns choosing a card, reading the word out loud and covering up the corresponding colored heart on their board.  

4. The first player to cover all their hearts wins! 

Variations 
Start with all the game pieces on the board and play the game in reverse.  The first player to clear their board first wins! 

  
Meeting the Needs of All Learners 
I included two different sets of cards with this game.  The first set of cards has color words with colored hearts...great for little ones learning to match colors.  The second set of cards has just color words...great for learners practicing sight word reading.  The first time my preschooler played this game we used a combination of cards since she was able to read some color words (red, yellow, blue, green, white), but some of the words were a little tricky or new to her (orange, black, brown, purple, gray, pink).  Each time we played she was able to use fewer and fewer colored heart cards, until she was able to read all of words independently!  

Skills Practiced

Identifying colors
Reading color words
Counting numbers 1-8


I link-up at these great parties!


Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. I've been looking for ways to teach my children how to read color words. This is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, your creativity and games are amazing! Thanks for sharing! You rock!! I will most definitely be using this with my preschooler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Trina! I hope your preschooler enjoys this game as much as my preschooler does!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! My preschooler really enjoyed this game and it helped her learn a few more sight words!

      Delete
  4. I love this idea! Thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I'm happy to link up at Thinky Linky Thursdays!

      Delete
  5. I am just hopping over to thank you for linking up this week to my Enchanted Thursdays Blog Hop! I love this, very creative idea! I hope to see you link up again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! Thanks for sharing with all of us =-) Thanks for linking up to TGIF =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great printable. Thanks for linking up to fun frugal friday. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...