Monday, February 20, 2012

Happy Presidents' Day!

Pin It

Happy Presidents' Day!  This holiday is pretty exciting where we live because students are off from school for the entire week!  While my preschooler is home from school, we'll have plenty of time for playdates,  relaxing at home and of course I'll sneak in a little learning time too!  This week's preschool activity trays are a bit of a hodgepodge....a Presidents' Day activity, a snowman poem, a Valentine's Day book,  letter writing practice and polar region animal cards.  As you can tell we're playing catch-up on a few activities we ran out of time for earlier this winter!  Here's what our preschool activity trays look like:  
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Presidents' Day Coin Sort
I kept this tray simple and only included sorting pennies and quarters since this is my preschooler's first money activity and first time learning about the presidents.  You can download a copy of this printable HERE. 

Poetry Tray
I have wanted to set-up a poetry tray for some time now and finally got around to it!  Last week we had quite a bit of snow around here and we were finally able to build a snowman!  So I picked a cute snowman poem from CanTeach and set-up this poetry tray.  You can download a copy of this poem HERE

I Love Pets! Emergent Reader
My preschooler is so anxious to read!  The only problem is she only knows a handful of sight words making reading even the simplest Ready to Read books a bit too challenging.  So I created this super simple reader all about pets.  It's repetitious and only includes a few sight words!  You can download a copy of this reader HERE.
Letter Writing Practice
This week we'll group letters into families by the way they look and by the way they are formed (tall letters, round letters etc.) and practice writing a couple letters from one family group.  In the picture I show the lined side of the dry erase board, but I think we'll most likely use the the backside of the board without lines so my preschooler doesn't get frustrated trying to stay in the lines.  
Polar Animal Match-up Cards
Last month my preschooler used these 3 part "Montessori" cards to match-up animal pictures and learn the names of each polar animal.  This time I plan to review the names of the animals and play a memory match-up game with her.






Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome week planned ahead! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trina! Yes it will be a great week! So happy to have my preschooler home for a relaxing vacation!

      Delete
  2. Love the coin sorting printable! Fantastic pictorial way to sort those coins. Thank you for sharing. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you found the coin sort printable helpful!

      Delete
  3. I love all the baskets you have each activity in. Reminds me of when my oldest was in Montessori school. Glad to meet you. New fan from the Teach me Tuesday hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to "meet" you too! Many of the learning activities I set up for my preschooler are Montessori inspired. I really love how the Montessori method offers repetition, a sequence for learning and focuses on teaching the whole child.

      Delete
  4. How fun! I love the sorting bins and the emergent reader you made! My daughter is at a very similar stage--we've been re-discovering toddler books because they have they have the right kinds of words and repetition. I can't wait to print I Love Pets! Thank you so much for sharing this at Teach Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your daughter will be able to use the I Love Pets book! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Nice activities. I like how you have them organized. What is a poetry tray?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Our poetry tray is inspired by My Montessori Journey. This is the first poetry tray I've set-up for my preschooler, so I'm still figuring out a routine that works for us. I hope to write a post about our poetry tray next month. But if you're interested in seeing a poetry tray in action check out this post from My Montessori Journey.

      Delete
  6. Three part cards really are the coolest thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love three part cards! They are such an amazing tool for learning that can be used many different ways!

      Delete
  7. These are fun trays and how wonderful that you could have a week home with your preschooler. Next year we are definitely doing some coin sorting for President's Day. I haven't let Boogie have any coins yet. He very very rarely mouths things anymore, but I just know the one time he would do it would be the dirtiest penny in the pile. Thanks for sharing at WOTT, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! I haven't set up any money activities for my tot yet either, but he does put money in his piggy bank. He LOVES this and it's a great fine motor activity!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...