Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Pin It
Tomorrow, March 2nd, is Dr. Seuss's birthday!  To celebrate this creative author's birthday we read many silly Seuss books and incorporated several Seuss inspired projects into our week.  Here's a look at a few of our favorite projects...   

We filled our sensory tub with "Oobleck" a gooey, sticky substance inspired by Bartholomew and the Oobleck: (Caldecott Honor Book) by Dr. Seuss.  To make Oobleck combine cornstarch, water and green food coloring.  Then mix until you have a consistency something between a liquid and a solid.  At first my tot didn't enjoy getting his hands dirty, so I grabbed a few utensils from the kitchen and he had at it.  Eventually he warmed up to this strange texture and and got as messy as his sister!

We read Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories and made our own turtles from paper plates and construction paper.  This was a simple and easy craft to prepare.  My preschooler cut out legs a head and tail for the turtles and taped them onto the front side of the paper plate.  Then we turned the plates upside down and my preschooler and tot glued ripped pieces of construction paper to decorate their turtle's back. 

My preschooler's favorite Seuss book is There's a Wocket in My Pocket! After reading this book many times we created "wockets" "nellers", "bofas" and several other silly creatures out of playdough.  I gave my tot and preschooler a basket filled with craft supplies (googly eyes, feathers, beads and pipe cleaners) and let them create Seuss inspired creatures.  Tomorrow we'll read  If I Ran the Zoo and use our playdough and craft supplies to create unusual zoo animals.


How will you celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday?







 
Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I love all of your activities. The wockets are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My kids (and I) really enjoyed making the Dr. Seuss characters!

      Delete
  2. Great post. This was my quote to honour Dr Seuss http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/quotation-spot.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Dr. Seuss has so many amazing quotes!

      Delete
  3. Hi! I recently nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. I love your blog and as a part-time preschool teacher, I find your little craft projects wonderfully helpful in keeping things fresh with the little kiddos! Thank you for so kindly sharing. If you'd like to read about my blog post regarding the Liebster Award, you can find it here: http://buckeyefive.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-blog-award.html Be sure to pass on the blog love to someone else that you find deserving as well. Happy Blogging, April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and for nominating Criss-Cross Applesauce for the Liebster Award! I am so honored you thought of my blog!

      Delete
  4. This is such a neat idea, and I wanted to share that we did it today. Thanks for the inspiration! My boys loved it!

    http://trainupachildlearnaswego.blogspot.com/2012/03/theres-wocket-in-my-pocket-inspired-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this idea inspired you! Your "wockets" came out adorable!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday! I love seeing all the new ideas each week!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! It's always fun to share ideas at Thinky Linky Thursday!

      Delete
  6. So much fun! I LOVE your WOCKETS! I shared this with my Facebook readers here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Living-Life-Intentionally/261252997248957 - Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Hope to see you again tomorrow,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing on Facebook!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...