Thursday, March 15, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Learning Trays

Pin It
Here are the St. Patrick's themed learning trays I set-up for my preschooler.  Each day I pull out a few trays for her to work on.  Sometimes we work together on these activities and sometimes (when I'm confident she understands the task), she'll practice these trays by herself. 

End of the Rainbow Game
Source : Criss-Cross Applesauce
Skills Practiced: color identification, turn taking, addition/subtraction readiness


Lucky Charm Graphing 
Source: Mrs. Shehan's Full Day Kindergarten   
Skills Practiced: creating a graph, interpreting a graph 
This is a great math activity for my preschooler!  After she uses the Lucky Charm marshmallows to create the graph, she counts up the number of marshmallows in each category and writes those numbers at the top of the graph.  Then I ask her questions about the graph using math comparison words (i.e. Which type of marshmallow had the most?  Which type of marshmallow had the least?). 


Lucky Dog Math Game
Source:  Criss-Cross Applesauce
Skills Practiced: identifying/naming numbers 1-20, turn taking



Roll and Color a Rainbow 
Source:  Criss-Cross Applesauce
Skills Practiced: turn taking, color identification, reading color words, coloring, creativity  
After playing this game a couple types my preschooler was ready to switch things up a bit.  She came up with the idea to make a backwards rainbow, starting with the color purple.  She thought this was pretty silly and had a lot of fun with it!



Leprechaun Hundreds Chart 
Skills Practiced: identifying numbers 1-100, coloring, understanding a hundreds chart   
This is another great math activity!  This activity tray is my preschooler's first introduction to the hundreds chart.  I would really like to make a DIY Montessori Hundreds Chart for my preschooler, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I figured since she able to identify numbers 1-100 there was no reason not to give this activity a try, since I would be working 1 on 1 with her and we could work on a little each day. 



Spring Poem
Source: CanTeach, printable available HERE
Skills Practiced: reading sight words, comprehension, creativity
I couldn't find a St. Patrick's Day poem that was exactly what I was looking for, so instead a picked a spring themed poem!  We'll read this poem many times, each time focusing on different literacy skills.  The first time I'll read the poem to my preschooler and ask her to close her eyes and imagine the things she hears me read.  Then we'll discuss what she imagines.  Next we'll read the poem together practicing sight words and words she is able to read using picture clues.  Then when she is able to read the poem by herself (some actual word-by-word reading, some memorization) she will glue a copy of the poem into her poetry notebook and draw her own spring pictures. 



Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I see all these great ideas and can't wait for my 20-month-old to actually be able to do them. I feel impatient. But I guess I have time to store up as many ideas as I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! I love the trays and they will go perfectly into my centers!

    I just became a follower of your blog


    I would love for you to join be in all the fun and follow my blog too!-Ms. Patterson


    Pocket Full of Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so awesome! I really wish I would take the time to do the whole "learning tray" I just love all the ideas i see!! so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous at how organized and fun everything looks-I'm sure the kids have a blast with those activities. Really great ideas!

    http://www.notjustchildsplay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE these ideas for your child. I will be copying you this summer when I am at home with my little one.

    Mary
    Sharing Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...