Wednesday, April 11, 2012

April Learning Trays


Here are the April learning trays I set-up for my preschooler.  These trays are all Easter themed.  Each day I pull out a few trays for my preschooler to work on.  Sometimes we work together on these activities and sometimes (when I'm confident she understands the task), she'll practice these trays by herself. 

Jelly Bean Pattern Mats
Source: Criss-Cross Applesauce
Skills Practiced: building AB, ABC, ABB, AAB and AABB patterns using manipulatives (jelly beans)


Missing Number Eggs
Source : Kindergarten At Heart
Skills Practiced: identifying and reading numbers 1-100, finding missing numbers 1-100, using the terms before, between and after for numbers 1-100
Rather than write the missing numbers on this printable, my preschooler placed plastic number tiles on the missing number egg.  We have a large canister of plastic number tiles, from which I pulled out only the numbers she would need for this task.  So Instead of worrying about how to write the numbers correctly, she was able to isolate the task of identifying and reading two digit numbers. 


Egg Themed Syllable Sort 
Source: Kinder Kids Fun   
Skills Practiced: breaking words down into syllables  
Learning how to break words down into syllables is an important prereading skill, so I was excited to come across this free syllable sort download from Kinder Kids Fun.  My preschooler identifies a picture and says the word aloud while clapping the syllables.  Then she places the card under the correct category - 1, 2 or 3 syllables.


Fill the Easter Basket 
Source: Criss-Cross Applesauce
Skills Practiced: color identification, turn taking, addition/subtraction readiness, reading color words


Skip Counting  
Source: Criss-Cross Applesauce, printable available HERE
Skills Practiced: using a hundreds chart, skip counting by twos, identifying number patterns    
The first couple times we did this tray, I mixed up the skip counting cards and had my preschooler put them in order, skip counting by twos.  This week when we use the tray I'll have my preschooler use the cup of beans to mark off the numbers on the hundreds chart that would be used to skip count by twos.

Graphics by Scrappin Doodles

Bunny Hundreds Chart 
Skills Practiced: identifying numbers 1-100, coloring, understanding a hundreds chart   
My preschooler loves this activity!  Last month we worked on the leprechaun hundreds chart from Lil' Country Kindergarten.  Though she was familiar with numbers 1-100, it was her first introduction to using a hundreds chart.  These coloring activities have allowed her to practice reading two digit numbers in a fun way. 



Easter Poem
Source: Poem from CanTeach, printable from Criss-Cross Applesauce available HERE
Skills Practiced: reading sight words, comprehension, creativity
This month I chose a repetitive Easter poem for the poetry tray.  We'll read this poem many times, each time focusing on different literacy skills.  First I'll read the poem to my preschooler and ask her to close her eyes and imagine the things she hears me read.  Next we'll read the poem together and circle any words she is already able to read.  Then I'll pick three sight words to introduce using the Montessori three part lesson.  After learning the sight words she'll locate them in the poem and color them using colored pencils.  When she is able to read the poem by herself (some actual word-by-word reading, some memorization) she will glue a copy of the poem into her poetry notebook and draw her own Easter pictures. 


Bunny Graphic by Scrappin Doodles


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I am WAY behind reading blog posts lately. Thank you so much for including my bunny hundreds chart! I'm going to add several of these to my classroom next year. Thanks for the great ideas and pictures!

    Blessings,
    Marlana
    Lil' Country Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Marlana! I know what you mean about keeping up with blog posts...they accumulate quickly!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you are a new follower here be sure to let me know so I can follow you back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...